Steps


Winter sabbatical. This is the time we are generally parked on a bench on the boardwalk of Laguna’s Main Beach, watching the waves and the Lagunatics.  Yet yesterday we tossed computer, a small suitcase, and one very confused dog into the back of the Subaru and hit the road East.  We’re en route to Denver, currently winding through snow-skirted red sandstone mesas in Utah. A third of the way back across the country. 

While a road trip is always an adventure, the purpose of this one is to enable a new adventure altogether: We are interviewing the top candidates to manage our bed and breakfast next season. That’s right, Chris and I are looking to step away from being the active, onsite innkeepers.

Turning over the reins is going to be a huge adventure, one that in a way feels like stepping off the stepped buttes currently surrounding us into the abyss.

So much as yet unknown. Will this work? Will new managers breathe a little fresh life into our well-loved business? And will the time away from it – all the way in California – allow Chris and me to clarify the next step in our lives?

I know that the only way one moves up the ladder in the corporate world I left so long ago is to learn to delegate and to grow your subordinates by giving them the knowledge and the tools to succeed…and then getting out of their way. Not micromanaging. Not second guessing. In fact, for example, I’m almost afraid to gift the candidates with my cookbook tomorrow because I don’t want to constrain them. Yes, my 50-recipe cookbook is an example of what has worked for ME. But in rereading some of my notes to friends over the past year, I wonder if my way really works anymore, or whether someone new (and perhaps I?) might thrive by changing up the whole format of breakfast offerings.

I so hope we’re going to like these people when we meet in person tomorrow in Boulder, CO, and that they are still as eager to try this challenge as we are to have them do so. It will be a challenge for all of us. #nervous


I look forward to seeing what opens up in my life as the result of closing this particular door.

Comments

  1. Go Kim and Chris! Even though it's scary to take the first step, you are stepping onto the path toward the next phase of the life of your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you two. For what you created and for knowing you need to step back and away. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing you & Chris you’ll feel from your hearts to help you both make the best decision!! For your B&B & yourselves!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making the leap

Transitions

Remembering the Sacto Dixieland Jazz Jubilee on National Jazz Day